Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Useless And In My Way, But Here To Stay

There are some things in my house that when purchased, seemed like a really good idea. However, the more I think about it, I realize that these things are just....there.

For example:

Potato Masher- I probably make mashed potatoes twice a year. Maybe three times. And the masher? Awkward shape. Takes up room in the drawer. Makes me irritated when drawer won't close.

Candle Centerpiece for Dining Room Table - looks really pretty. Has been lit once. To see how it would look. Candles collect dust. Makes Molly mad.

Extra Large Space Saver Bag - great in theory, but the bag is HUGE. I don't have enough stuff to put in it to suck out all the air with the vacuum and store it under the bed. (I've done this with three or four Large bags...very fun

Super On Sale 20 Rolls of Our Favorite Toilet Paper - great money wise, not so great when the bathroom cabinet is thisbig and has to store everything else. I must say, I'm pretty proud of my TP stacking skills.

Ottoman- I still have hopes for this one. It's cute. It's functional. It matches the living room color scheme perfectly. It gets used as a giant coaster. Which. Drives. Me. Crazy.

Giant Mop - I (thankfully) cannot take credit for this one. When Michael was away for a month for work (bad, bad, evil away. Stupid work.) his grandmother stopped by one day unannounced. I hadn't vacuumed yet and she not-so-subtly told me that I needed to do something about the dog hair. (Hi, 120 lb black dog that blows his coat in the summer? You try keeping up with all the hair. It will kill you.) Her solution? A giant mop. No, not a Swisher that picks up dirt and hair and dust with static electricity. A mop. As in...mop. Yeah, the kind you put in a bucket. With water. And soap. How this was supposed to pick up dog hair, I did not know. But I tried it (dry) and I tried it (wet) and know what? It doesn't work. It's just a big ol' mop. That now resides in the hall closet just being a mop. Mopping around. Mop, mop, mop.

Also, for some reason, in the short time we've lived together we've somehow collected enough blankets and comforters to swaddle 3 million babies. (OK, maybe just 2 million.) There are only two of us sleeping there. And we use one giant, deliciously fluffy and warm down comforter. The guest room also has its own comforter. But the other 999,998 blankets...they've taken residence in the guest room. Where they will continue to live until I can figure out what to do with them.

The Extra Large Space Saver Bag, you say? Now, I've thought of that. But even the XL can only hold a few...and it's not really worth it to me.

Actually, I wonder if it could hold shoes.....

No comments: