Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Boobs

I ordered a really cute dress that was on sale last week. It came in the mail yesterday but I waited until this morning to try it on. The image reflecting back at me from the mirror was not what I was hoping for.

I looked like Miss Molly Milk Maid offering you my rack of lamb.

Holy. Boobs.

I always liked my chest. It suited my frame just fine and I certainly rocked the cleavage in high school and my early years of college. But then came junior year. One day I went to put on my favorite tank top and it didn't fit. I struggled to get it over my chest doing one of those awkward, twirly dances you know you've done in a dressing room when the dress you picked was too small.

I called Elle into my room and presented her with the problem. "Huh," she said. "They got bigger!" Bigger? Why did they get bigger? I didn't want them to get bigger! I was happy with what I had before. After much deliberation and denial on my part, Elle convinced me a trip to Victoria's Secret was in order. Time for new bras.

We walked into the store and I picked out a few in my old size, determined that they would fit and the tank top had shrunk. Elle laughed when I let her in the dressing room and told me I could not walk around with my chest up to my chin. She left and I stood there, staring at myself in the mirror and trying to wrap my head around it. This is what women want, right? Big boobs? But all of the sudden I felt self-conscious and so much more aware of them than I ever had before.

Suddenly Elle thrust her arm over the door and said, "try this one on." It was a D. I refused. "I am not a D!" I yelled at her. But she made me. So I did.

And it fit. Perfectly.

I left the store with my new bras and a feeling like I was going through adolescence all over again. It just felt weird.

Over the next couple weeks other people began to notice. My sorority sisters were making comments. My roommates were making comments. (I was no Boobeski, but it was a noticeable change.) After a visit home my sister started calling me "D's". Michael was making a lot of comments. Needless to say, he did not see this as a problem. But I was starting to feel like my boobs were what people were noticing about me first. Not my big smile, my sense of humor or intelligent questions. My boobs.

I know some of you are rolling your eyes. Thinking, what is she complaining about? Maybe you have nice B's that fit perfectly into any any top or bathing suit you try on. I don't.

I have to pass by all the cute spaghetti strapped, empire waisted, flowy tops because I look like I could serve you dinner off my chest. I could never wear a strapless dress without looking like a linebacker.

But I do put things in perspective. My mom was lucky that her breast cancer did not result in a mastectomy. Many women are not so lucky. Thousands of women, even women my age, have lots their breasts to cancer.

When I step back and look at it that way, having large breasts may be an inconvenience, but things could be so much worse.

I'm really disappointed about that dress, though.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a roommate who has "E" or even "F" breasts and I never knew what a challenge they could be until I went clothes shopping with her. Being a small C, I had no idea what that was like until I met her.

Molly said...

OMG I could not imagine. See...it could be worse.

sassafras said...

Um...I bought a bra for my wedding dress a couple weeks ago. It was a 34 F. Not only did I have to order my wedding dress 2 sizes up, I had to go up many cup sizes for my bra. I'm horrified to think about how big they will be when I'm pregnant and/or breast feeding.

Molly said...

Jeez I didn't even think of that!

Clink said...

Oh Molly, I feel your pain - especially about the bypassing all spaghetti strapped, empire waisted flowy tops that are always SO CUTE.

Also - Sass - I am also so worried about what happens, post-baby.

Sasha said...

Oh Molly I too feel your pain. I used to fee cute in most clothes but now with my Ds I feel like everything is a struggle. I either look like I am trying to show off my chest or look like I am chubby...

BAH! Thanks for sharing. It makes me feel better.

Anonymous said...

So very true, for I cannot wear anything strapless as well. It's not even pit fat that's the problem (or "pit boob," if you prefer), it's the fact that they're...ample. And are victims of gravity. Unless I feel like fidgeting and pulling up my bodice all night, I have to stay away from these. And that makes the Baby Jesus cry, because these are the CUTE dresses that I WANT to wear!

Hmpf.

Sasha said...

Don't you think it is interesting that it seems you have a large percentage of readers with big boobs? hehe.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mo, I do remember that fateful day at Victoria's Secret. I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that you now have to pay $2 more for a bra than you did before..hehe. I'm mean...but you love me...you told me that via IM this morning. xoxo

Anonymous said...

i am a 34 DD. My friends don't understnad why i am so self conscious of them..they say they are envious, but it seems like my boobs are the only thing that people notice. I have a nice looking face, really. I wish someone would stare at my face instead. There are days when i feel i have to slouch ... and there are days where i say to myself, "Hey, they are just boobs, don't worry"...it comes and goes..but man, i would LOVE to wear a strapless and look OOh la la, instead of Booberella! Is there anyway a big boobed woman can wear a strapless dress and not look..bleckh!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new boobs!!! Be happy! D's not so bad! I feel your pain though.

You do not have to pass up the cute tops!!!! Not at all. I'm a natural DDD, small frame, and went through the same experience you did. Horrifying! I know! Even jogging became hard. I knew I had it bad when V.Secret no longer had my size. Humiliating. A friend recommended www.bravissimo.com. It's a UK site so the prices are not in US currency. Just basically multiply the digits by two to figure out the US price. They're expensive but cute. "The girls" always look perky and they had strapless so I didn't have to retire the cute strapless tops. I purchase ALL of my underwear and bathingsuits and strappy/strapless things... yes... STRAPLESS tops from them. They even have supportive string bikinis!

Luck!

Vickan said...

I came across your blog while doing a google search. I'm going to a wedding this weekend and a friend let me borrow her dress. It has spaghetti straps, and it looks real good, except, of course, for the drooping boobs (do strapless bras even do ANYTHING?).

What do I do now? I wondered as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. So I googled "strapless" and "big boobs" and I got to you! Still not sure what to do about the dress... but your post cracked me up, though!

Anonymous said...

Ah I had the same VS experience. I denied I could ever be a D cup until I tried one and it fit perfectly..sadly. I liked being a C! I'm a senior in high school and I came across your post when I googled "straples dress boobs problem". I just bought a really cute strapless dress for my homecoming and wouldn't you know it, my boobs are making it impossible for it to look normal and not saggy on me. I'm going to attempt to find a good strapless or adhesive bra but ah. Your post made me laugh :) its comforting to know we're not alone.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lizzienay said...

i'm a freshman in high school and was looking for ideas for a homecoming dress that's style could work for bigger boobs when i found this post... i'm a 34 DD and it sucks having to buy special bathing suits and shirts and whatnot. i don't know what i'm going to do about homecoming yet, but be glad you weren't a DD at fourteen years old...boys in high school make it very obvious that they're staring. it makes me feel like a slut even when i wear t-shirts.