Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sugar High

This time last year I was working in a preschool and was miserable. As much as I love kids, it's not where I wanted to be or what I wanted to be doing. But the job market was bad and the benefits were good. So I stayed.

On the morning of Valentine's Day I sorted through my closet trying to find something pink to wear. Ordinarily I don't color coordinate my clothes to the holiday and for some reason I never buy anything pink. But when you work with a whole bunch of 18 month-3 year olds, you have to dress the part. So I put on the only pink I have, a Juicy Couture baby pink sweater that I really didn't want to wear in the vicinity of finger paint, and headed off to work.

Holidays at a preschool are the best days to work there. Well, great for the taste buds, not so great for the waistline. I was greeted by trays of brownies and cupcakes, baskets of cookies and boxes of chocolate. One parent was a pastry chef and her Valentine's Day treat baskets were to die for. I think I ate all day. All. Day.

Know who else ate sugar all day? The children. Know how many children were in my room? Fifteen. All on sugar highs. For eight hours. Yeah, that was fun.

I saw on the news this morning that the preschool had closed for a snow day. I can't help but think there was more than just snow behind that decision.

3 comments:

Sasha said...

Ah I miss being a kid and feeling that sugar high where you can run in circles until you crash. Ah youth!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day!!!

I'd like to think it's our day because of our names, which is almost like valentine. Almost.

Anyways, I have a couple of educational religious books if you really want to study up. And they don't just cover christianity so you can have several valid arguing points for Jane.

Have a delicious dinner with Michael and I'll catch you later!

Valerie

Anonymous said...

i also noticed they were closed yesterday. Sometimes I miss it, and I do miss those amazing holiday theme baskets (look, the brownies look like rudolph!) but then i remember a certain set of twins who were definitely missing a certain skill that their parents INSISTED they had mastered. whatever. i can buy my own brownies!