Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dani California

You know that friend? The one you've never had a fight with. The one you spent countless hours with as a kid playing "teenagers" or recording a radio show. The one that was Stacey from the Babysitters Club (because you were Claudia) and whose mom always had a plate of carrot and celery sticks with ranch dressing.

The friend that introduced you to Ace Ventura, Hot Shots! Part Deux, Clueless and of course, the Babysitter's Club Movie.

The friend who you used walk with to the A&P to buy a can of icing, two cokes and a jumbo Hershey bar. The friend you would sit next to watching Full House as you stuffed your face with said goodies.

The friend who you would pool your change with, then go get slices of pizza, not realizing until years later that you would totally short-change the waitress.

The friend you would go tick-or-treating with, then attempt to play poker and use your candy as chips. Even though you would just share everything anyway.

The friend you would play Hudson Valley-Opoly with at 2 a.m. until you got yelled at by her parents for laughing too loudly.

The friend you sat next to on the couch and made a pact that even though her parents said they had to move, you would plant your butt firmly on the floor and tell potential buyers that there were mice in the house.

I have that friend. She's one of my best friends, even though I don't get to see her as much as I'd like to. The friend that never judged, never said mean words and always made me laugh.

That friend is getting ready to embark on a new and exciting part of her life. Moving all the way across the country. I'm going to miss her like crazy.

Here's to you, Dani California.

I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's way to early in the morning for me to get teary eyed!

you know, I think about my child hood and the first person that pops into my head is you. From the time I was 5 up until I moved to PA I had the best friend that I could ask for. That still remains true today.

Sometimes I feel like I missed out on so many things w/ you. Like, finally getting our licenses, and those talks on the phone after school (I still remember my own personal phone number hahahaha), those sleepover adventures haha, proms, boy woes, and all that good stuff that you get to deal w/ when you are in high school. It's not that we didn't talk because we certainly did.

Now college has come and gone and it's true, I am about to embark on a new adventure, but the one thing I still keep in plain site is that picture of us in the kiddy pool. I look at that and remember the happiest times.

Molly, you are the single most sweetest person that I have ever had the pleasure in knowing. You have a sense of humor that still keeps me cracking up, a heart of gold. Sappy? Maybe a little.

I just wanted to tell you, you'll always be my favorite because you have always been the most sincere.

I love you too.