Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Stepping Over the Line With Her Platform Shoe

Michael and I went out to dinner on Saturday. Waiting for your table provides a great opportunity for people watching. So that's what we were doing.

A young woman comes in with another woman, most likely her mother. They look similar and it is clear the older woman has at least 20 years on the younger one.

The young woman is dressed as you would expect a girl of her age, presumably around 19, to be dressed. Jeans, fitted shirt, hoodie, flip flops.

The mother was dressed as you would expect a girl of her daughter's age to be dressed. Tight, cropped, rhinestone encrusted jeans, a extremely low-cute tee and metallic, platform sandals. The effect she was going for wasn't working. She looked old and slightly pathetic. Like she was trying too hard.

I think of my mother. Stylish? Yes. Cute? Always. Inappropriate? Never.

It got me thinking. When is the age appropriate line drawn?

I make an effort to look adult, pulled together, classy, work appropriate. It's more difficult for me to pick out an outfit to wear out to the bar now than it is to get dressed in the morning. I could never picture myself at 55 adjusting my thong beneath my low slung jeans.

Getting older doesn't mean you have to be boring. No one is suggesting you run out and buy a pair of "mom jeans." Just cover the girls a little more than you did when you were 18. And ditch the 5" platform sandals, lady. Super trashy.

Look at Hollywood. Some of the most beautiful actresses are in their 40s and 50s. That should be inspiring!

I hope I age with beauty and grace. If you ever catch me teetering after my teenage daughter in ridiculous shoes with my butt hanging out of my pants, please stop me.

Not that I would ever wear ridiculous shoes.

No comments: