Thursday, November 02, 2006

Matriarchal Mess

Today is one of those days. You know the kind I mean. It's rainy, it's cold. Your bed was so warm and getting out of it was soooo hard.

It's that kind of day.

Coupled by the fact that I feel crampy and bloated and just want to eat chocolate all day. Which I will. Go ahead, judge me.

And, to top it off, tonight we are going out for Michael's mom's birthday.

This isn't all bad. The food will be good. His grandmother will be there and she loves me.

However, his mom? Doesn't love me so much. Sure, she's kind. She'll give me a hug and thank me for coming. But that's where it will end. The rest of the evening she will barely talk to me because her Son is there and that is the most important thing.

And no one is good enough for her Son. No. One.

Except maybe the daughter of a minister. Which I am definitely not.

Why does this bother me so much? Michael and I are happy together. I shouldn't worry about conquering the impossible task of getting his mom to love me. Isn't it true for all moms? There's no woman good enough for their boy?

Both his grandmothers love me. They even ask I call them Grandma. His dad liked me. His siblings like me. WHY DOES THIS BOTHER ME?

Oh, well. I guess it's just something I'm going to have to live with. I'm definitely having a glass of wine tonight.

She'll hate that.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Ohhhhh girl, I can relate. My boyfriend and I first dated back in high school, and our nasty break-up back then (when I went to college 400 miles away) has continued to haunt me to this day. His dad is basically fine with me, and his sister and I get along great, but his mom? Not exactly embracing me with open arms, even now, a year and a half since we've gotten back together. What is it with guys and their mothers?? My mom is the same way with my brothers! That must be why I'm a daddy's girl...

Domestic Goddess said...

I say adopt your "grandmas" as your mother-in-law.

Anonymous said...

Just tell her that the wine is the blood of christ..and you want to take him into your life. She'll LOVE that :)

i miss your face