Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Better Than Last Year

Last year was our first year in the house and I was really excited to have trick-or-treaters. Being way past the age of actually trick-or-treating myself, and not yet with a child of my own to take out, I was really looking forward to being the nice neighbor handing out treats.

I went out and bought bags of candy and sat down in the living room anticipating the doorbell ringing all night.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And not once did the doorbell ring. No scary ghosts. No pretty ballerinas. No Spidermen.

Zip. Zero. Notta.

I was so disappointed.

So this year I thought, why bother? If no one is going to come I am not going to bring bags of chocolate (mmmmmm chocolate) into this house for no reason!

But I thought about it. And thought about it. And I knew that if I didn't get any candy then the doorbell wouldn't stop ringing.

I stopped at CVS on my way home from work and stood...on... line... with all the other people buying last minute candy.

I pulled into the driveway, unlocked the door, said hi to the dog and...

DING DONG!!!!!

A trick-or-treater!!!!!!!!!

A little boy named Noah dressed as a soldier was my very first trick-or-treater. He was followed by....

Three more.

OK. So it's not what I had imagined. But all four kids were excited to get candy from my house and now they'll come back next year.

Good enough for me.

No comments: