Monday, January 22, 2007

Company

One thing I've learned from having a dog is privacy goes out the window. Especially when the bathroom door doesn't lock.

Imagine my surprise the first time he pushed open the door as I was sitting on the toilet. He walked right up to me, squeezed himself into the tiny area between my feet and the wall and lay down. It's amazing how vulnerable you feel, even in your own home, with the bathroom door wide open and a big animal at your feet.

Or the time no one was home and I was taking a shower and nearly DIED when a big black nose suddenly thrust itself past the shower curtain. Trust me, nothing prepares you for that.

As time went by, having Kodiak in the bathroom became more and more routine. We actually wait a minute before undressing or sitting on the toilet because we know it's just a few second before he pushes open the door and does a trademark FLOP on the floor.

To non-dog people this might sound gross or annoying, but to us it's perfectly normal. He's a love, a real people dog. He just wants to be where we are. When we take a shower, he takes a steam. When we do our business, he takes a nap.

It's actually very cute.

Except for that nose in the shower thing. I don't think I could survive that again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks...like I didn't already want a dog bad enough!

too cute!

sassafras said...

Yes, the snout in the shower would freak me out. BFF detests it when Wicket follows him into the bathroom. I could care less except when I'm in the shower - he steals my slippers and that floor is cold!

Ripe for Reading said...

I would so enjoy a dog! The going to the bathroom bit is a little weird with a dog hanging out right there, but having his nose pop in while you're in the shower sounds so cute!

We have 2 turtles and they certainly aren't fun like that.

When we move to a bigger place I'm going to revisit the pet discussion with Bub...

Molly said...

Dani- So glad you're back to commenting. I missed you, Ms. LA!

Sass- He doesn't steal slippers, but he lies right on the bathmat. Makes it a little difficult to get out of the shower!

Ripe- You'd be amazed how quickly you get used to it. :)