Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fashion Faux Pas

While out to lunch today I spotted one of Those Guys. You know the kind, the vintage Nike wearing, European-cut clothing sporting, my-hair-is-meant-to-look-unwashed type of guy. He would have pulled off the look perfectly if under his sporty zip-up he wasn't wearing a Family Guy t-shirt. Not quite a fashion disaster, but a definite oops. We've all had them. We look back at pictures and cringe at the "what was I thinking?" moments. Mine? Oh...there were many.

I owned a pair of red Tweety Bird sneakers. I thought they were the coolest thing ever. I was in 5th grade and was styyyyling, baby. Oh yeah.

I'd also like to point out that I searched Ebay just do you could actually see the horror that used to reside on my feet. Thank God my taste in shoes has improved.

Like any child born in the 80s, I also wore an assortment of snap bracelets. My favorite one was zebra striped and furry. I also had a few metallic ones and one that was a really great shade of lime green. I used to coordinated them to my scrunch socks. Until they were banned from school for being dangerous. Apparently if you took off the fabric coating they were nothing more than a bendy, metal WEAPON.
The mock turtleneck. But not just any mock turtleneck, oh no. A velour mock turtleneck. In long sleeve, short sleeve and a dress. I sported black, stripes, forest green and the dress....the dress was an iridescent purple that changed from dark to light depended on if you brushed the velour up or down. I may have worn the dress with clear platform jellies.

Overalls. An almost daily outfit in the 7th grade, complete with the baby t-shirt and boxers. You know, so a strip of your midsection was showing, but not enough to be considered inappropriate. My favorite boxers? Blue flannel with sheep on them. That I made in Home Ec. Yeah.
So overall, it was pretty bad. But at least it wasn't a Family Guy t-shirt.

3 comments:

Clink said...

Ah, snap bracelets. I thought they were the coolest things ever and had a plethora of colors and styles. Until, of course, they were banned. It was good while it lasted!

I'm Kate said...

Ha! Those pictures are hilarious.

I remember before the snap bracelets came out, my friends and I would braid best-friend bracelets with yarn. Matching colors and all, preferably mint green and pink. Gross!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!! you just brought back so many random memories! I had those shoes too! only mine were white with sylvester and tweety hahaha! Had the slap bracelets of course. BUT I had totally forgotten about the overalls, baby t's and BOXERS!!! Holy crap! My favorite ones were my white ones with pink piggies from boston! Do you remember when we found out we had the same ones w/ martini glasses on them? very random.

I heart you, yourblogs make my day!