Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ladies Who Lunch

Sometimes I think I'd be really good at being a woman of leisure. Or a lady that lunches.

Don't get me wrong, I like to work. It's nice to feel accomplished doing something I enjoy and I didn't go to college for nothing.

But sometimes I envy the women who don't have to work. The women that can role out of bed and go to the gym, do their grocery shopping mid-day and come home and watch Oprah. Sometimes I really want to be one of those women.

And then there's the stay-at-home Mom. I read my fair share of mommy blogs and I know that it's not all fun and games. I've worked with kids and I know how hard it is to only have a baby to talk to all day. But I've thought about it and when I have a baby, I think I want to stay home with them. At least for awhile.

Last night I was in a really good mood driving home from work. I stopped at the grocery store and despite how much I hate it there, I was actually looking forward to picking out dinner. I strolled around, picking up fresh vegetables and shrimp and rice and I even managed to plan dinner for the next day. (Yes, I own a crockpot and yes, it is fantastic.)

When I got home I was actually looking forward to cooking. Michael greeted me with a big smile and a kiss and the dog showered me with kisses. After dinner Michael met up with some friends but I opted to stay home because I was tired.

But after realizing that Gilmore Girls was a repeat again, I decided lying on the couch would just not do.

So I cleaned.

As in vacuumed and straightened and scrubbed... and I think I have a serious problem because I actually enjoyed it.

A clean house is a happy house and who cares if I just vacuumed on Sunday? Right?

So it got me thinking. But the truth is, I'd probably be bored. Sure, being a freelance writer (yeah, I'd still write) with lots of free time sounds glamorous, but would I really want to do it everyday? Probably not.

Unless I was a lady who lunches. Because that would be fun.

1 comment:

sassafras said...

I've always said that I would have to work because otherwise I would be too bored. But after having some days off where I used them productively I thought this is the life! Part time is the way to go...