Saturday, August 12, 2006

The customer is always right. Right?

Jen and I decided to take advantage of this beautiful day and walk into town to explore Main Street. Yes, I've lived down the road for over a year and she's lived in the area her whole life. We just like to take our time, ok?

We checked out all the antique shops, jewelry and clothing stores and the got ambitious and decided to walk the bike path. Armed with our yummy fruit smoothies and decked out in our (almost matching!) cute outfits, we headed down the path for a relaxing walk. We ended up walking to the next village and checking out the vintage clothing shop.

As soon as we walked into the cluttered room I was cornered by the owner wearing a turquoise vintage (read: tacky) dress.

"You know, ordinarily that wouldn't be allowed in the store," she said, eyeing my smoothie with disdain.

I apologized and offered to put it outside, which she agreed to with a sneer. I didn't see any sign saying no food or drink, but I didn't want to be rude.

We dug through the rows full of mostly crap and wove our way around the cluttered floor. Jen found a beautiful sari that she could use as a bed throw and asked the woman how much it was.

"I'll give it to you for forty," she said rudely. "But it's really worth three times that." No other sari was marked nearly that much, but apparently this one was special.

As we finished our browsing another shopper told the owner that the dress she had tried on was nice, but didn't fit her in the skirt.

Hello," the owner sneered. "It's a full skirt!"

The girl politely put down her things and left.

The store wasn't even that nice. You would think that the woman would be at least polite to the customers to make up for it!

I don't think I'll be going back.

No comments: