Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Story of 38 BP

It's a long one.....

When I look back at college there are three women that will always define a huge part of who I am. Our house, 38 BP, was the setting for New Years Eve parties, Food Network marathons, yummy dinners, heart-to-hearts, some good crying fests and of course, lots of laughs. Even though we have all gone our separate ways, the connection to each of them is forever.

Each of these women deserve their own introduction. In order of how we met:

KTP*: My roommate freshman year. We spoke on the phone about two weeks before moving into the dorm and hit it off immediately. She was quirky and friendly and we were both kind of in the same boat with our high school boyfriends. She was a native Rhode Islander and promised to teach this New Yorker all about the little Ocean State.

For reasons that escape me now, she wasn't going to be able to move in the first day. I went out that night and had the typical freshman-first-night frat party experience. When I stumbled back to my room at 2 a.m. I was surprised to see KTP unpacking! Turns out she could come (late) after all. I think I mumbled something about how this was not the best first introduction and fell into bed.
Our friendship was solidified later that week. It was a lazy Sunday morning. I came back from breakfast and got back in bed. KTP was watching a show on the discovery channel about the U.S. Mint. After about 10 minutes I said, "This is really cool." "Oh, thank god!" she exclaimed. "I thought you would think I was weird!" We were good friends since that day.

Boobeski: She lived down the hall from me and KTP. She didn't really love her roommate. I think we had a very intense conversation (because you know, all drunken conversations are really intense) while sitting on the hallway floor one weekend. The friendship didn't solidify until a night that we will just call the Goldshlager Night. Boobeski took good care of me and made sure I made it to bed safely. After that night we started eating meals together and just generally hanging out. The friendship grew really quickly and before I knew it we were pretty much attached at the hip.
We spent many nights hanging out, watching tv, drinking...oh the drinking.... (there was a lot of that freshman year) and making Wendy's runs. I even spent a couple Easters at her house in MA. She taught me the joys of comfy sweatpants. I taught her the joys of eyeliner. Oh, and the nickname? She has gigantic boobs. And they are fantastic.

Elle: My freshman year I joined the Student Entertainment Committee (SEC). Elle was a general member and I remember seeing her at a few events. As a matter of fact, the one time I really remember her being there I thought she was really annoying! We didn't become friends until our sophomore year. We were on the same exec committee on SEC. We bonded over how miserable we were in our current living situations. I was in a triple where I didn't feel wanted, she was living off campus with the roommate from hell. We went to a party together. I got sick. She took care of me and let me sleep over. We found out the room next door to mine was going to be open the second semester. What a perfect idea to move in together! So we did. Then we went to another party at the same house. She got sick. I took care of her.
It wasn't until the first real week sharing a room together than we realized how obsessed we were with each other. She is crazy, in the most wonderful sense of the word. Whether she was dancing around the room in HUGE pink sweatpants (Ham!) or throwing candy hearts at me, or if we're watching "The Sweetest Thing" again, we were always having fun. We even made a combination of our names that other people referred to us as. MoElle. We love us. I am also proud to say that this girl is not only my friend, she is my sister. Zeta Epsilon Tau Alpha. Heart.

I miss you ladies. <3

I told you it was a long one!

*Nicknames

No comments: