Monday, August 21, 2006

Puppa Doo

It just occured to me that I haven't talked at all about the dog. Kodiak is our BIG Newfoundland. He's a little over a year and a half and is a big puppy. And I mean big. He's 120 lbs.

I had a dog as a kid but nothing his size. I was a little unprepared for what it would be like to have something so big roaming around the house. Michael has wanted one since he was a kid and Kodiak is really his dog. If Michael is home Kodiak doesn't pay too much attention to me.

Most of the time he is just a big baby who wants love and attention and lots of tummy scratching. Most of the time. Other times he is a HUGE butt head who likes to bark and run around the (small) house crashing into furniture. Five percent of the time he makes me nuts.

Like this morning. 6:15 a.m. Bark! Bark! Bark! Crate rustling. Silence. (I'll ignore him, he'll go back to sleep.) Bark! Bark!........BARK! (Fine! I'm getting up!)

I let him out of the crate. He proceeds to run around the house picking up all his toys to show them to me. (A daily routine.) I'd really like to squeeze an extra half-hour of sleep back in so I let him outside.

6:45 a.m. Bark! Bark! Bark! I hear him run a lap around the yard. Bark! Bark! Bark

This time Michael gets up and lets him back in the house. I finally get up to get ready and he's lying on my feet while I try to do my hair. He likes the hair dryer.

All of the sudden he's crazy man, running around and barking. This time it's not ok. I grab him by the collar and put him in his crate again. I leave him in there about 20 minutes to calm down. Just as I'm ready to leave I let him out. He comes over to me and rubs his cute head on my leg and I scratch his head. Then he lies down like a good boy.

He drives me nuts, but how can you not love that face?

No comments: